November 21, 2011

Future Street

Had a terrific day at work followed by the most miserable commute. An hour and a half to get home. No joke. Man oh man, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've never seen myself living on the Westside. It feels like an entirely different city. And I love Echo Park, but I love my new job just as much. Maybe more. Since I'll be spending half of my time in Ghana for the first half of next year, it's not an immediate concern. I'm working on ways to cope with the rage-inducing traffic, like killing time at the Goodwill on Venice Blvd. and purchasing some audio books on i-tunes (just got Anita Shreve's A Change In Altitude, which appropriately takes place in Africa).

It's all got me thinking about the sacrifices we make to grow. And spending 2-3 hours a day driving to and from work is one of those sacrifices. I had it pretty easy before this...4 day work week, 15 minute commute. I knew what to expect and it was all pretty mellow. And it was fun while it lasted. But I'm so happy to be given the opportunity to challenge myself. I want to grow and learn and look back on my life and feel like I accomplished everything I could, that I lived up to my potential. I think I'm on the right path....even if does end on the Westside ;)

a fortune I received this past summer...Think it's coming true...


No comments:

Post a Comment