June 25, 2012

Wheels On The Bus...

"From the big bus windows, the life of the city appears closer. You feel more involved—the lumbering bus, as a participant in the daily lives of so many people, doesn’t have that separate-bubble feel of a car."- Aimee Bender

The quote above was taken from this great article about ditching the car and getting to Los Angeles in a different way through public transit. 

Riding the bus is a rare occasion for most Angelenos- we'd sooner hop in our cars and enjoy the seclusion of a private enclosed space than sit next to a stranger. But I'm in my car for two hours a day, 5 days a week, battling traffic to get to work on the Westside, so taking the bus this weekend was a welcomed change. I approach it as a sort of adventure- stepping into an unfamiliar world that's less private and more communal. I love the obligatory interactions one encounters when using public transit- greeting the friendly bus driver who gave us a 2-for-1 rate, talking to a young Native American man about Jash's turquoise ring, watching fellow riders gush over a young mother and her unbearably cute and happy baby...Like the quote above suggests, it all makes me feel more connected to my city and I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment